The District Secretary’s responsibilities are too great for one individual to perform adequately. This role (or possibly more than one role) is intended to share that workload. Initially, the role is seen as that of the secretary of a meeting, distributing papers and minutes, but the precise allocation of responsibility within the Secretary’s team will be subject to an agreement as the team develops.
This role involves acting as a minutes secretary to a board of Charity Trustees so it could be a very valuable experience for a younger volunteer developing a career in administration.
The following are the ‘General’ duties of the role which will be made more specific in accordance with the needs of the District on appointment to the role.
- Distribute Agendas for District Executive Committee meetings (after an agreement between District Chair and District Secretary.)
- Distribute papers for DEC meetings
- Prepare draft minutes for DEC meetings and after approval by District Secretary and District Chair circulate them to members.
- Assistant District Secretaries will be appointed as members of the District Executive Committee.
- Access to computer and internet and competence in basic IT packages including word processors and spreadsheets
- Good standard of written English and ability to draft accurate minutes.